Plastic Free July 2018 is just around the corner and it’s bigger than ever before. From its humble beginnings in Australia in 2011, there are now more than 150 countries involved. Plastic Free July focuses on behaviour change, with the idea that giving up single-use plastic for a whole month will hopefully create habits that last a lifetime.
Going totally plastic free is a bit daunting, so the Plastic Free July team ask people to make their own pledges, usually concentrated on single-use plastic. Here are a few ideas:
- Avoid single-use plastics altogether.
- Focus on the Big 4: bags, bottle, straws and coffee cups.
- Look at what’s in your recycling bin and aim to reduce it.
- Refuse one single-use plastic (eg straws or coffee cups) for the month.
- Go totally plastic-free for one day.
I’ll be aiming to blog a few times throughout Plastic Free July. We’ll be making an extra effort to reduce our own plastic consumption for the month of July and I’ll be collecting any plastic waste we do accumulate to show you. I’ll also be reviewing an online plastic-free grocery shop I’ve discovered.
Will you make a pledge for Plastic Free July 2018? What will you choose to refuse? Let me know in the comments.